Extract from "A Memorable Day" by Mrs EM Buskin, June 1911, in which Mrs C W Joyes won 2nd prize in the Billingshurst Parade
A dainty double pram followed. From it the shades were removed and an upright pole placed in the middle. It was wreathed with red and white roses to represent the Maypole. From the top hung red, blue and white ribbons which were fastened at the four corners. A wreath of red and white roses surrounded the whole, and a mass of these beautiful flowers was heaped on one side of the interior. A little child occupied the other seat. Red, blue and white ribbon was closely wound around the springs and axles of the wheels. Very novel and ingenious.
Extract from report of the Billingshurst Church Bazaar July 1891.
'Mrs Joyes kindly undertook a share in the work providing for the refreshment of all who were overwhelmed by the many other attractions or exercises, such as swings, coconut shies etc., and sought for refuge in their tent. She was assisted by Miss Skinner, Miss Grinstead and Miss Alice Ireland, all proving most efficient helpers.'
A Day Out
On the 18th June 1891 the choir members of the Itchingfield church were given, as their annual treat, a day out to an exhibition in London. Many of these country lads would never have travelled far from home nor experienced the modes of travel they would on this exciting day. The Mr E Joyes, reported to have given many of the boys transport in his van to and from the Horsham Railway Station, is thought to have been Edgar, who at the time, ran a regular Itchingfield / Worthing horse drawn delivery service.
When the 9.30 train from Horsham arrived at London Bridge, the party continued their
journey to Chelsea by steam boat. They were agog at the sights of passing craft and
the many historic buildings they saw on the way. They arrived in time to enjoy a
hearty mid day dinner before visiting the exhibition to see a 'marine engagement'
with miniature warships, torpedoes and divers on the lake. They heard military band
music and saw models of Nelson's ship Victory complete with its dying captain recreated
in wax -
At the end of the afternoon they were treated to 'a substantial tea' at the Royal Military Asylum before returning home on the 7.17 train. A day to remember indeed.
[based on information taken from a Yesterday's Names CD, copyrght Yyvonne Graves]
Information given to emigrants travelling on the Petworth Scheme:
'List of Neccessaries for Emigrants to Upper Canada.
Families should take their Bedding, Blankets, Sheets etc, Pewter plates or wooden trenchers, Knives, forks and spoons, Metal cups and mugs, Tea kettles and saucepans, Working tools of all descriptions [A large tin can or watering can would be useful]'
Fittleworth Parish News 1895.
The Committee of the Reading Room are heartily congratulated on the success of the
entertainment organized by them on Wednesday, January 23rd. A dance on a large scale
was quite a new thing in Fittleworth, and it required much care and thought to bring
it to a successful issue. The Parish Room had been gaily decorated by members of
the Reading Room and others, who were determined to show what Fittleworth can do
when it likes. Dancing commenced at eight, and was continued till nearly two a.m.
The floor, the music,the dancing, and -
The thanks of all to Mr S Strudwick [the Secretary] to Mr Hugh Joyes [the Master of Ceremonies] to the Musicians, and to the Ladies' Committee for their labours, which they must have felt were fully repaid. The Rector desires to express his great pleasure that the Room should have been the means of affording so much innocent enjoyment.
The Parish Nurse
We have once more to ask our friends' kind subscriptions in aid of the 'Parish Nurse Fund', which except for small fees in certain cases, is dependent entirely on voluntary contributions, which, however small, will be gratefully received. There has been a Parish Nurse in Fittleworth for the past two years and we believe that she has proved a help and comfort to many.
The chief object of the institution is to provide a competent nurse for the families of labouring men, but when disengaged, the nurse's services may be given to other cases; in which case some payment would be asked. It is desired to make the sphere of the nurse's usefulness as widespread as possible and the ladies of the committee will be glad at all times to receive any suggestions or complaints, and will give them every consideration.
Those who desire the nurse's services should apply to one of the following ladies
of the committee -
The New Room
People passing by the Church will have noticed what is going on in the Rectory Garden. We may have more to say about this Room another time; all we will say at present is that while its first and principal use will be to provide a more convenient place for the Sunday School, it will at all times available for any good and useful purpose. One of the earliest uses to which it will be put will be for the promised 'Jumble Sale' the proceeds of which we propose to give towards providing a suitable and Worthy Banner for the 'Swan' Lodge of Odd Fellows.
The New Room
Fittleworth people will have noticed lately the rapid rise of the new building in the Rectory grounds. It is not likely that it will be regarded as an improvement to that part of the village, at any rate at first. But time will soon tone down the gaudiness of new tiling, and eventually we do not think that there will be much to complain of on that score.
The cost of the building with necessary fittings, will not be less that £150. Towards this the Rector gives £55 and his personal friends have given £45 more. Towards the remaining £50 he has received at present £16 from local well wishers, and he would feel grateful to any of our readers, who are disposed to assist him in what is, after all, a work of public utility, and one which he hopes and believes will prove of great advantage to the parish in many ways.
It is too doubtful, at present, when the building will be ready for use, to be able to fix the day for the 'Jumble Sale' with which it is proposed to open the Room. But it will probably be early in May, and in the next number of the Magazine we hope to give notice of the date.
For a report on the opening of the Jumble Sale see below
Extract from The Petworth Society Magazine Nov/Dec 1886.
By E. W. Whittington
I can remember the time I used to go down to the Fittleworth Mill with my father,
we had a hand-
When I was still at school, just before the great war, we used to go down to the watering place, catching tiddlers in a jar. Police Constable Stoner from Filttleworth caught us and told us to get out. We didn't take much notice of him and as soon as we could we slipped back. P.C. Stoner however was hiding behind a bush, and he put a stick across our backsides. When I told my father about this he said he had no right to do this because it was a public watering place.
Extract from Storrington written in 1929 by Maude D Petre.
Two of the chief industries, apart from farming and agriculture, industries now extinct,
As for smuggling, I think the most respectable amongst us are not ashamed to own that Storrington was one of the centres of this enthralling profession. There are two cottages which still go by the name of Smuggler's Cottage, and the cellars of many of the houses are of a magnitude and out of proportion to the needs of any family who lived in them.
A tale is told that the Squire of Rowdeil, near Washington, was informed one morning by his coachman that he had found the horses in a lather, as though they had worked all night. The matter was explained by the discovery of a keg of French brandy on the doorstep, with thanks of those who brought it 'for the kind loan of the horses'.
Fittleworth burial Register.
March 12th 1895 Jane Joyes aged 68 years.
From April Parish News:
In recording the death of Mrs Henry Joyes we would like to express our sincere sympathy with Mr Joyes and his family in the loss they have sustained. Her many infirmities had long prevented her from moving among us, so that her departure is not like the removal of a 'familiar face'. But we gladly testify here to the kindly interest which she took in many a good work for which we have to ask for help, and the readiness with which she responded to such appeals.
From Memories of Life in Storrington written by John Joyes in 1922.
"Michael Milner was a farm-
The school, under the direction of Mr C Le M. Spurgeon, [Member of the College of Perceptors] was advertised as offering "a sound, liberal and practical education for the sons of gentlemen, together with a refined home, Christian training and mental and moral culture, fitting pupils to meet the responsibilities of their future lives and to fill any position in society."
"The school premises were built by the Principal,with a special view to scholastic purposes. They comprise a thoroughly ventilated mansion with spacious class rooms, dining room, dormitories, lavatory, bath room and workshop. The sanitation throughout has been carefully looked to, and the general ménage is is of the most liberal and efficient kind, being under the immediate supervision of Mrs Spurgeon, who makes it her constant care to maintain the health, comfort and bodily well being of the pupils"
The college was said to have a gymnasium and a large recreation area where "cricket and football can be indulged in."
"Admirable facilities are available for safe sea bathing, owing to the gentle slope of the neighbouring beach and the absence of rocks. Further more the bathing parties are always accompanied by Mr Spurgeon"
[Frank Joyes from Storrington and his cousin Rupert Joyes from Pulborough, attended New College, a boarding high school for boys in Shelley Road, Worthing. They were listed in the 1891 census along with many pupils from Sussex and elsewhere.]
BOARDING HIGH SCHOOL for GIRLS
Conducted by Mrs Spurgeon in premises situated immediately opposite New College.
The accommodation and resources are precisely similar in character to those already
noticed, the curriculum however being supplemented by German, needlework and instructions
in various lady-
Masters from New College attend for Latin, French, mathematics, drawing and painting and Mrs Spurgeon, who for several years prior to her marriage had the sole direction of a highly successful ladies' college at Lyndale house, Midhurst, superintends the entire workings of the classes and of the school generally, with assistance of two governesses.
Though but latelyestablished, the College has already proved a decided success, about thirty young ladies being now in residence.
[Elsie Joyes, sister of Rupert, attended this school.]
THE PULBOROUGH CHURCH CHOIR
2nd August 1862
On the 24th ultimo the members of the above choir, numbering about 25, went on their annual trip, this time it was determined to take them to Brighton. Accordingly, about 6.30 a.m. they started from Pulborough accompanied by the Curates, the Rev. J. Knight and P. Royston. A fly and pair and a van and pair took the happy party to Steyning whence they proceeded by rail to Brighton. The Rector, the Rev. W. Sinclair, kindly supplied the party with refreshments for the day. After spending eight hours by the seaside and enjoying themselves as much as possible they returned to Pulborough at 8.30 p.m. highly gratified with their trip and grateful to their benefactors who took so much interest in their welfare.
STORRINGTON POSTAL SERVICES
John Battock kept the Post Office which was where Mr Penn's shop now is: he had two
daughters, Mary Ann, who did the office work and Sarah, who was deaf and dumb, delivered
all the letters at that time: a good many living in the outlying places had to fetch
their own letters. Hurstierpoint was then the post office town for Storrington: they
came through Steyning and then brought from there by dogs, until the time that the
use of dogs was prohibited, which I think was about seventy years ago: after that
a man used to push a truck to Steyning and back -
(Illustration from Florence Greenfield's book Round About old Storrington and is from the sketch book of Lady Annabella King of Fryfern, Storrington.)
MISSIONARY MEETING at FITTLEWORTH December 1895
We have to give notice that a Missionary Meeting will be held in the Parish Room, on Tuesday 10th, at 7 p.m., to hear an Address from the Rev. J.G. Harper, a Native Priest of British Guiana. A Collection will be made after the Meeting on behalf of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts.
FITTLEWORTH PARISH NEWS November 1894
It is not often that we can hope for the privilege of hearing an Address from our own Member of Parliament, in our own parish. And when he is good enough to come and explain a matter in which, at the present time we are deeply interested, there can be little doubt that we shall give him a hearty welcome. Every effort will be made to provide comfortable seats for all who attend. But it must be clearly understood that preference will be given to Electors. Others are welcome if there is room, but only adults will be admitted. The Meeting is on Tuesday, at 8p.m. at the Parish Room.
On Tuesday December 4th, the first Parish Meeting was held in the Parish Room. The Rector having been elected Chairman of the Meeting, Twelve Candidates were nominated for the nine seats on the Council.. After the show of hands had been duly counted for each Candidate, the first nine were declared elected by the Chairman, but a poll was demanded by Mr Greenfield.
The poll was held at the same place on Monday, December 17th, when Mr H. Death of Petworth, acted as Returning Officer, assisted by Mr Lawrence. The poll closed at 8 p.m., and the result anxiously waited for by a large number of people assembled outside the polling place. It was 9.30 before curiosity was satisfied, and we learnt who were the men elected to serve on the first Parish Council.
We give the names of those elected, with the number of votes polled by each:
R. Picknell 58 S. Greenfield 53 C. Herapath 52 A. King 46 Fourd 41 Jay 37 H.Joyes 36 A.H. Simpson 32 G. Taylor 29
Whilst congratulating those who secured places on the Council, we must sympathise
with Messrs. Wilde, Harding and Strudwick, who were unsuccessful. The fist Meeting
of the Council was held in the School Room on Monday, December 31st, when Mr R. Mounteney-
We congratulate Mr H. Joyes and Miss Catley, who represent respectively Fittleworth and Egdean on the District Council, and we feel satisfied that the interests of both parishes could not be in better hands.
Extracts from page 45 of Storrington in Living Memory, by Joan Ham
Mr Joyes also ran the Byne water-
During the First world War the watermill ground flour for Worthing. It was carried in wagons drawn by two horses which could pull two or three tons of flour at a time. It was sieved through silk screens, stretched over frames and Mr Cowdry who worked for Mr French [who worked the mill after John Joyes] recalled that it was 'lovely flour'. Local farmers provided enough grain to keep the mill working. Mr Cowdry also remembers the rats jumping onto his shoulder to get at the meal. They kept cats to control them and one particularly beautiful cat used to sleep on the mill wheel! The overshot wheel worked by water pouring into cups and pushing it around and children used to ride on the revolving pole taking the drive.
MEMORIES an extract from Round About old Storrington by Florence M Greenfield. published in 1972
Do you remember the smell of new mown hay and the sound of the hay-
The sound of horse's hooves is one that has gradually faded during this century.
We used to watch the sparks fly as the horse-
Do you remember the smell of Mr Joyes's corn-
Do you remember the smell of newly baked meal at the bakeries, and the sound of crickets in the bake house? Do you remember Mr Reeves, the carrier blowing his horn as he went through the village on his way from Cootham to Worthing? And the flocks of sheep passing on their way to Findon Fair?
Did you ever hear, on Christmas morning the strains of ' The Mistletoe Bough' being played by two local musicians? They used to start from School Hill about six o'clock and play their way through the village, receiving liquid encouragement en route.
Do you remember the Muffin Man who used to come on winter afternoons, balancing a large tray on his head, and ringing a bell to herald his approach?
Holidays in Storrington c1935
As a very young child, a grand daughter of Frank and Alice Joyes spent a holiday with them at Storrington. She recalls being taken by her grandfather for a walk up towards Chantonbury Ring, accompanied by his old Springer spaniel 'Dash'. After his death she sometimes stayed with her aunt and grandmother in company of her cousin, another grand daughter, of similar age. Though both girls looked forward to being together , after the first day they fought continually. There was much competition over who could play with the 'pram'.
She says "This was like an upright chair thing made out of wicker work and with wheels
on which we would place our dolls or whatever else took our fancy, including each
THE JUMBLE SALE Fittleworth 1893
When the idea for this Sale started, our hopes were very humble. We thought that we might, perhaps, make £5, or even £10, to help out the subscriptions to the Odd Fellows Banner; but as the time grew near, the scheme began to assume large and even alarming proportions. Contributions in the shape of goods and excellent goods too, came pouring in from all quarters. As the day approached, came welcome gifts of food for the Refreshment Stalls. And then at last came an army of helpers, ready to do anything and everything to lighten work, and conduct this unaccustomed business with order and regularity.
The only fear then was whether people would come to buy. But from the moment the doors were open at 2.30 all doubt on this point was at an end. No sooner had the first verse of "God Save the Queen" been sung in honour of the day, than business began and never flagged for a moment until almost everything worth having was sold. A few trifles were parted with at last at a reduction, and by six o'clock all was over.
A more lively scene for about three hours is not often witnessed in Fittleworth.
About 430 persons paid for entrance; and at one time no less than 350 were in the Room, or in the rectory Grounds, which were most kindly thrown open by Mrs Turner.
© www.joyes.co.uk All rights reserved
web design by jonjay
The following list suggested for labourers.
'A fur cap, A warm great coat, A flushing jacket and trowsers, Two jersey frocks, Four shirts, Four pairs of Stockings, A duck frock and trowsers, A canvas frock and two pairs and trowsers, Three pairs of shoes, Bible and prayer book.'
'A cask not exceeding the size of a hogshead, or 60 gallons, affords an excellent and dry case, for packing such articles as are not likely to be wanted 'till the end of the voyage. All packages should be marked with the owners name in large letters. Five hundred weight of luggage is allowed to be taken by each individual, above 14 years of age”